It all begun a long, long time ago near Venice. A young student was drawing on his scrapbook…
Ok ok, I’m not going to go that far back with the details. Suffice to say, after the first Juliet, named A1-C, and the sophisticated carbon fiber and balsa-made prototype A1-D, I had some ideas to improve this formula. Nothing groundbreakingly new under the sun, to be clear. The “Juliets” are little aerobatic sport planes, 4-5 radio channels, powered by electric motors ranging from 400 to almost 700 watts, rugged construction to withstand the elements (and the owner), and a fully built up structure.
If the first Juliet was the plane that brought me back in the air after years, and the A1D was the one that marked a big step forward in my knowledge, the Juliet3 is another important stepping stone: the first design that I feel ready to be shared and enjoyed with other modelers!!!
Why a third version? Wasn’t the A1-D good enough? Well, in short, yes and no.
The Juliet2 is indeed a good model. It sports a large number of upgrades from the original design, but it was born around the need to test composite materials, not something the average modeler out there necessarily wants to mess with. Moreover, it basically inherits the wing of A1-C, which is good for the ease of construction, but less optimal for aerobatic performance. Still, to be honest, the A1-D is already plenty of fun for it’s size, and with some midlife upgrades, it could go from good to excellent easily.
Moved by the interest growing at the field and in the forums around the prototype, I planned to convert the project to use only “classic” materials, like balsa and plywood, and maybe introduce a new , tapered wing, with a modern airfoil and built up ailerons, you know, since I was there. As I started to draw the few adjustments, I decided to optimize even further some practical details like the wing latching mechanism, or an improved motor mount which allows for better weight distribution. Only about halfway through the job I decided that, with the new wing, the whole aerodynamic configuration was in need of a review. That’s how the new tail surfaces, lowered thrust line and the longer nose made their way into the design.
If you want to know more about this or other projects, just leave a message below and we'll be back to you shortly!