Juliet2 is back!!!

Testing a new plane means pushing it to see what it can and can’t do, building confidence in it to try even harder the next time. Therefore I would be proud telling you the story of how the Juliet2 needed repairs after trying some extreme maneuver. Unfortunately, I crash-landed it after a low speed, low altitude pass on the runway in gusty winds at Torre Spada, the field where I’m usually flying. After a gust pushed it to the runway for an hard bounce, I initiated some kind of goofy escape maneuver, which I eventually stopped to avoid coming too close to the parked cars. 

The Damage

Juliet2
The Juliet2 back at Torre Spada after the repairs

In the end, Juliet2 fell almost vertically from a couple of meters, hitting the left wingtip first, and then the nose. Surprisingly it didn’t break apart. Nonetheless the force of the first impact, transmitted along the structure, made some minor internal damage. Moreover, the left wingtip was  dented, but not broken, thanks to the carbon balsa force generator which took most of the hit. All the momentum then transferred along the wing to the fuselage, through the wing tubes. And that’s where most of the repairs where needed. A crack appeared on the covering balsa of the fuselage, just behind the aft wing tube, and a few ribs appeared to have little cracks around the wing tube holes.

Repairing the Juliet2

Juliet2 repairs
The right wing opened for repairs

To avoid any surprise, I decided to give the Juliet2 a full inspection. I removed the motor cowling and checked the motor mount for damage and alignment. To better asses the damage behind the second wing tube, I then cut a portion of the covering film out  from the bottom of the fuselage, gaining access to the entire section. The wings were also opened, and I repaired several ribs for cracks and missing bits there. The hinges of the left aileron and the rudder (although the latter probably unrelated to the crash), detached from the wing. Since there wasn’t any real damage there,  I just glued them back. Having removed the covering film only from the underside, it was easy to close the Juliet2 back after the repairs. To complete the process, I tested servos and receiver in the lab for signs of damage.

And then back at the field

Finally, I had to fly the plane and check that all was good as before. As with all maiden flights, I started slow and “nice”, gradually moving on to more demanding figures to stress test the repairs. As of today, the Juliet2 has flown a dozen times after the repairs, including one flight with buddybox to let a friend try it safely. Here below are some pictures from the last flights, with more certainly coming in the next weeks!!! In the end, I’m not sure I will ever officially “close” the Juliet2 test flights. Yes, I’m spending more time than before just having fun with it, but the more I do, the more I think of new things to try.

Like this post? share it!

Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on email
Email

The materials and components used in this project were bought from:

Any questions?

If you want to know more about this or other projects, just leave a message below and we'll be back to you shortly!

Other posts about Radio-controlled planes:

A1-D Construction

Previous Next After we cut and tested all the parts several times without glue, it was time to start the A1-D construction. It is very important, with

Read More »

A1-D Building Starts

Previous Next The A1-D, or Juliet II project has slowly made progress during the flying season of 2018. But with the arrival of this fall,

Read More »

A1-D Project

Previous Next While rebuilding the Juliet, I had plenty of ideas on how the structure could have been improved, lightened and made easier to “operate”.

Read More »

C18 Updates

Previous Next Thanks to our new testbed for carbon fiber and balsa sandwiches (more on that on the Juliet2 page), I was able to start

Read More »