Previous Next While rebuilding the Juliet, I had plenty of ideas on how the structure could have been improved, lightened and made easier to “operate”. Since the ideas kept piling up after the first flights, some of them found a way into the model after our first little crash. Of course they were limited to small design corrections. We just put all the rest in a drawer for later use. In the meantime, we were already looking forward to the Twin Beech as the next big plane to build, so there wasn’t time to think about other projects. It just
Here we about
Previous Next Thanks to our new testbed for carbon fiber and balsa sandwiches (more on that on the Juliet2 page), I was able to start a partial redesign of the C18. The use of composites helps to beef up the most stressed points. But the most important aspect, it does that without adding complexity or volume to the structure. At the moment we are focusing our attentions on the important area of the mid fuselage and central part of the wings. This zone concentrates non only the most of the loads, but also contains most of the components and connections:
After what has been an unexpeted series of successful flights, it eventually came the day on which I dared a bit too much a bit too low. Coming out from a series of hoverings, I messed up the recovery and impacted the ground almost vertically. It was only from a couple of meters of height, but it was high enough to hurt. Surprisingly the damage was not extensive. To be honest, the plane could have been “patched up” and sent back in the air with limited efforts. But when I started to fix it, I decided to replace all the
One of the reasons why I decided to come back to the hobby, was to try out FPV (First Person View) flying. With the A1-C getting close to its first flight, I started to think of a plane to properly experiment with flying through a camera (or more than one), but not only that. By far the biggest limit I had was space, for storage, for transport to the field in the cabrio, for eventually ship everything to the new country the day we will move again. This not only limits the overall dimensions of the future project, but it
For the first time in over 20 years, the plane is complete in all its parts! Even if during the last days there were lots of minor improvements and re-engeneering of a few areas, I managed to wrap it up. The main concern was to get the CG right, or as close as possible, without having to add ballast to center the model. In the design phase, I moved a lot of weight to the tail to anticipate the extra weight of the canopy and main landing gear, which at the end came out much, much lighter than I thought.
The engine, or in this case, motor cowl, has been first modeled from a solid block using sandpaper… glasses and a mask. Once happy with the shape, I started laminating the epoxy and fiberglass mats in various weights. For the epoxy I once again looked in the prochima line of products and ordered the E-227 resin. After the first sanding of the fiberglass (again, wear masks, glasses and gloves!) i covered the whole cowl with a mix of epoxy and microbaloons. I had to play a bit with the proportions to find the right consistency but at the end it
The A1-C project was started in the last century. In the beginning I designed the airframe with my father for a small class .25 glow engine. Little we knew about aeronautical structure design, or even just model design. That’s why for the first prototype we took inspiration from the early 3D Fun Flyers, which started to appear on the market in the late nineties. While not so bad in the general design, it was way too heavy with its all plywood front side and hard wood fuselage spars. At the end anyway the construction was paused, and eventually abandoned, due