Here we about

Durafly
The TundraCam

The Durafly Tundra comes with a few extra accessories included in the kit. Besides the floats, there is a nice FPV tray to assemble, and an EPO spacer to install the candy dropper. So after enjoying the Tundra in its “clean” configuration for a while, I’ve decided to try that out. Not having yet a fully functioning FPV equipment at home, I could still strap an action cam to it and take in-flight pictures and videos. Even without real time broadcast to the ground the “TundraCam” could still record the footage on memory cards to be viewed and edited later

Read More »
Juliet2
A1E
We started to build the Juliet3!

Last year ended with the test flights of the Juliet2 prototype, gathering valuable information to help us improve the design. In the beginning of 2020 I finally agreed (with myself) that the design was mature enough to build a first batch of Juliet3 airframes. This meant I could finally move on with other projects and get back to the garage! A team Effort Once I saved the files in Sketchup, I sent everything to Paolo at EasyCNC to cut the beautiful parts you can see in the pictures. It’s not the first time I use their services, and it’s always

Read More »
A1d
Juliet2 progress update #1

With the good season almost over, things are all but getting quiet. Even though this is usually the moment when the action moves from the field to the garage, we have been busy with the test flights of the Juliet2. The prototype has been logging flight hours until a small incident grounded it for a few weeks. At the same time, we made progress at the drawing board, where the future Juliet3 program is shaping up. A little incident Flying the prototype of the Juliet2 is just as much fun as it is gathering data to improve the design. Both

Read More »
a1-c juliet
a1c
Goodbye A1-C

It has come the moment to look forward. Unfortunately this also means we need to make space for the next projects, and say goodbye to A1-C. We are not going to ruin the surprise about what will be next here, and besides, this post is just to celebrate the end of the Juliet’s flying days.

Read More »
A1d
A1-D upgrades

Previous Next After the prototype second flight, we had to stop the plane since the motor had lost 4 magnets (well, they just detached from the bell and moved a bit actually). Although the motor itself was repaired the next afternoon, we decided to try a different engine, and ordered a Turnigy 3548 sk3 motor. Honestly I can’t blame completely the original motor. It was running to the max power rating, and even if the first flights were all but “full throttle”, not all the cooling ideas initially designed were 100% ready in the plane yet. Still, we decided to

Read More »
A1d
A1-D: it flies!!! (with video)

The big moment has arrived for the Juliet2. We are finally going to fly it!!! As all the family was there for the event, the first accomplishment of the day has been for sure squeezing two adults, a baby car seat, a golden retriever and two planes plus equipment in a sedan.

Read More »
A1d
A1-D Final steps

Previous Next With the Tundra and the Juliet in flying order, I enjoyed the first part of the season at the field having fun. Still, I managed to make some progress to the A1-D. We can now say it’s reaching the final steps of the construction. Having the model structurally complete, I made some tests to see where I could expect the CG to fall. While of course not 100% accurate at this stage, the results brought some last moment changes to the plane.  The Final steps First, I bought myself some margin on the CG by moving the tail

Read More »
A1d
A1-D Construction

Previous Next After we cut and tested all the parts several times without glue, it was time to start the A1-D construction. It is very important, with a structure like this, to get the best assembly order and stick to it. There are plenty of slots to align and some parts just cannot be put in place after some others. The A1-D Construction This is why it took a while to proceed with the construction phase. Once I got a good plan, i glued the front fuselage together in one single process. Then I put it was on the assembly jig we

Read More »
A1d
A1-D Building Starts

Previous Next The A1-D, or Juliet II project has slowly made progress during the flying season of 2018. But with the arrival of this fall, we started to finally see something shaping on our workbench. And they did it fast. From the screen to the garage I was surprised at how much easier a CAD software design can make the building phase. First of all, I had the chance to view the model from every angle and improve the structure. And all without wasting time, wood and patience. Moreover I was able to get all the parts for building the

Read More »