Here we about

A1d
A1-D Final steps

Previous Next With the Tundra and the Juliet in flying order, I enjoyed the first part of the season at the field having fun. Still, I managed to make some progress to the A1-D. We can now say it’s reaching the final steps of the construction. Having the model structurally complete, I made some tests to see where I could expect the CG to fall. While of course not 100% accurate at this stage, the results brought some last moment changes to the plane.  The Final steps First, I bought myself some margin on the CG by moving the tail

Read More »
A1d
A1-D Construction

Previous Next After we cut and tested all the parts several times without glue, it was time to start the A1-D construction. It is very important, with a structure like this, to get the best assembly order and stick to it. There are plenty of slots to align and some parts just cannot be put in place after some others. The A1-D Construction This is why it took a while to proceed with the construction phase. Once I got a good plan, i glued the front fuselage together in one single process. Then I put it was on the assembly jig we

Read More »
A1d
A1-D Building Starts

Previous Next The A1-D, or Juliet II project has slowly made progress during the flying season of 2018. But with the arrival of this fall, we started to finally see something shaping on our workbench. And they did it fast. From the screen to the garage I was surprised at how much easier a CAD software design can make the building phase. First of all, I had the chance to view the model from every angle and improve the structure. And all without wasting time, wood and patience. Moreover I was able to get all the parts for building the

Read More »
A1d
A1-D Project

Previous Next While rebuilding the Juliet, I had plenty of ideas on how the structure could have been improved, lightened and made easier to “operate”. Since the ideas kept piling up after the first flights, some of them found a way into the model after our first little crash. Of course they were limited to small design corrections. We just put all the rest in a drawer for later use. In the meantime, we were already looking forward to the Twin Beech as the next big plane to build, so there wasn’t time to think about other projects. It just

Read More »
C18
C18 Updates

Thanks to the tests with carbon fiber and balsa sandwiches (more on that here), I was able to start a partial redesign of the C-18, to simplify the structure and give it more strenght at the same time. At the moment the attention is focused on the important area of the mid fuselage and central part of the wing, which holds most of the weight: batteries, equipment, engines, and the main landing gear are all located there, not counting the two main access doors and the possible option of the bomb bay/camera holder just in the middle of it. The

Read More »
A1-C2 Juliet
a1c
A1-C2 Update

After what has been an unexpeted series of successful flights, it eventually came the day on which I dared a bit too much a bit too low. Coming out from a series of hoverings, I messed up the recovery and impacted the ground almost vertically. It was only from a couple of meters of height, but it was high enough to hurt. Surprisingly the damage was not extensive. To be honest, the plane could have been “patched up” and sent back in the air with limited efforts. But when I started to fix it, I decided to replace all the

Read More »
C18
C18 Project

One of the reasons why I decided to come back to the hobby, was to try out FPV (First Person View) flying. With the A1-C getting close to its first flight, I started to think of a plane to properly experiment with flying through a camera (or more than one), but not only that. By far the biggest limit I had was space, for storage, for transport to the field in the cabrio, for eventually ship everything to the new country the day we will move again. This not only limits the overall dimensions of the future project, but it

Read More »
a1c
A1-C End of Construction

For the first time in over 20 years, the plane is complete in all its parts! Even if during the last days there were lots of minor improvements and re-engeneering of a few areas, I managed to wrap it up. The main concern was to get the CG right, or as close as possible, without having to add ballast to center the model. In the design phase, I moved a lot of weight to the tail to anticipate the extra weight of the canopy and main landing gear, which at the end came out much, much lighter than I thought. 

Read More »
A1-C Engine cowl

The engine, or in this case, motor cowl, has been first modeled from a solid block using sandpaper… glasses and a mask. Once happy with the shape, I started laminating the epoxy and fiberglass mats in various weights. For the epoxy I once again looked in the prochima line of products and ordered the E-227 resin. After the first sanding of the fiberglass (again, wear masks, glasses and gloves!) i covered the whole cowl with a mix of epoxy and microbaloons. I had to play a bit with the proportions to find the right consistency but at the end it

Read More »
Close Menu

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.