Here we about

a1-c juliet
a1c
Goodbye A1-C

It has come the moment to look forward. Unfortunately this also means we need to make space for the next projects, and say goodbye to A1-C. We are not going to ruin the surprise about what will be next here, and besides, this post is just to celebrate the end of the Juliet’s flying days.

Read More »
A1d
A1-D upgrades

Previous Next After the prototype second flight, we had to stop the plane since the motor had lost 4 magnets (well, they just detached from the bell and moved a bit actually). Although the motor itself was repaired the next afternoon, we decided to try a different engine, and ordered a Turnigy 3548 sk3 motor. Honestly I can’t blame completely the original motor. It was running to the max power rating, and even if the first flights were all but “full throttle”, not all the cooling ideas initially designed were 100% ready in the plane yet. Still, we decided to

Read More »
A1d
A1-D: it flies!!! (with video)

The big moment has arrived for the Juliet2. We are finally going to fly it!!! As all the family was there for the event, the first accomplishment of the day has been for sure squeezing two adults, a baby car seat, a golden retriever and two planes plus equipment in a sedan.

Read More »
A1d
A1-D Final steps

Previous Next With the Tundra and the Juliet in flying order, I enjoyed the first part of the season at the field having fun. Still, I managed to make some progress to the A1-D. We can now say it’s reaching the final steps of the construction. Having the model structurally complete, I made some tests to see where I could expect the CG to fall. While of course not 100% accurate at this stage, the results brought some last moment changes to the plane.  The Final steps First, I bought myself some margin on the CG by moving the tail

Read More »
bricolage
Simple Wood Changing Table

Difficulty:  1.5/5 Cost: about 15Euro Tools: Power tools recomended Time required: 1,5 Days This is a very simple bricolage project: a woodden changing table that uses Ikea’s vädra mattress. I designed this changing table to fit over a standard crib, but of course it can also work over tables, drawers or beds.  The initial idea was a simple box open on the top, certainly something even beginners can build without much drama. Building the changing table The two long sides are just as tall as the mattress, (just remember that there is the height of the bottom”floor” to add

Read More »
A1d
A1-D Construction

Previous Next After we cut and tested all the parts several times without glue, it was time to start the A1-D construction. It is very important, with a structure like this, to get the best assembly order and stick to it. There are plenty of slots to align and some parts just cannot be put in place after some others. The A1-D Construction This is why it took a while to proceed with the construction phase. Once I got a good plan, i glued the front fuselage together in one single process. Then I put it was on the assembly jig we

Read More »
A1d
A1-D Building Starts

Previous Next The A1-D, or Juliet II project has slowly made progress during the flying season of 2018. But with the arrival of this fall, we started to finally see something shaping on our workbench. And they did it fast. From the screen to the garage I was surprised at how much easier a CAD software design can make the building phase. First of all, I had the chance to view the model from every angle and improve the structure. And all without wasting time, wood and patience. Moreover I was able to get all the parts for building the

Read More »
A1d
A1-D Project

Previous Next While rebuilding the Juliet, I had plenty of ideas on how the structure could have been improved, lightened and made easier to “operate”. Since the ideas kept piling up after the first flights, some of them found a way into the model after our first little crash. Of course they were limited to small design corrections. We just put all the rest in a drawer for later use. In the meantime, we were already looking forward to the Twin Beech as the next big plane to build, so there wasn’t time to think about other projects. It just

Read More »
C18
C18 Updates

Thanks to the tests with carbon fiber and balsa sandwiches (more on that here), I was able to start a partial redesign of the C-18, to simplify the structure and give it more strenght at the same time. At the moment the attention is focused on the important area of the mid fuselage and central part of the wing, which holds most of the weight: batteries, equipment, engines, and the main landing gear are all located there, not counting the two main access doors and the possible option of the bomb bay/camera holder just in the middle of it. The

Read More »
A1-C2 Juliet
a1c
A1-C2 Update

After what has been an unexpeted series of successful flights, it eventually came the day on which I dared a bit too much a bit too low. Coming out from a series of hoverings, I messed up the recovery and impacted the ground almost vertically. It was only from a couple of meters of height, but it was high enough to hurt. Surprisingly the damage was not extensive. To be honest, the plane could have been “patched up” and sent back in the air with limited efforts. But when I started to fix it, I decided to replace all the

Read More »
Close Menu

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.